Per Cal-OSHA, the employer must provide and document the following for each worker:
- An assessment of the PPE needed to do their work
- The needed PPE at no charge to the worker
- Training on the proper use and maintenance of the PPE
- A method to clean and sanitize the PPE
To facilitate these tasks, UC provides the following to those working in research labs:
- The online Laboratory Hazard Assessment Tool (“LHAT”) for supervisor use, which identifies the PPE needs for their lab workers. The LHAT can only be accessed via an individual’s UCSB NetID and password. https://ehs.ucop.edu/lhat/
- For lab workers, the LHAT provides a summary of the lab’s PPE needs and provides/documents training on basic lab coat and eyewear use and maintenance
- Free laboratory coats (3 types for different hazards), safety eyewear and communal face shields and lab aprons – see below. Use & Limitations of UC-provided PPE.
- Free lab coat laundering services – see below
Obtaining Free PPE
After the lab supervisor completes the LHAT process, their workers login to the LHAT to review the assessment results, watch a short training video, take a quiz and print out a “PPE voucher”. With the voucher they may pick-up two free lab coats and eyewear at the Graduate Storeroom in the Dept. of Chemistry & Biochemistry (Bldg. 557, room 1432). Short-time lab workers may receive a “loaner” coat they return. Free lab gloves are not provided, but some common types of gloves are available for purchase in storerooms - see “Glove Selection” later in this chapter.
Lab Coat Laundry Service
There are seven sites on campus for workers to drop off their dirty lab coats for laundering and pick-up when clean. Each coat will be marked with the coat’s unique identifier number and the individual’s name. Your cleaned coat will be returned to the one site that you designate – FAQs