Documentation of occupationally-related safety training is a legal requirement under Cal-OSHA. In 2013, UC adopted a new policy entitled: Laboratory Safety Training to satisfy OSHA and improve safety awareness. There are two primary requirements of the policy:
- All “lab workers” complete a Fundamentals of Laboratory Safety orientation (live or online) in order to be given access to their lab(s) by their department. Enrollment directions are given below. The trainings are generic and do not address the specific hazards/procedures for a particular lab. Supervisors/PIs are still responsible under the law for ensuring this has been provided – see #2. The fundamentals training covers the core issues common to most/all labs and addresses many specific regulatory training requirements.
Accessing the Fundamentals of Laboratory Safety Orientations (mandatory per UC policy)
- Live Version: 3-hour, instructor-led training is offered regularly - generally twice per quarter. Enroll via the UC Learning Center using UCSB NetID*. Search on “LS 01”. This training is more in-depth than the online version below and generally includes hands-on fire extinguisher training.
- Online Version: Available via the UC Learning Center using UCSB NetID*. Search on “LS 60”
*note that undergraduate UCSB NetIDs do not work directly in the UC Learning Center, but follow the instructions therein for undergraduate enrollment procedures.
- Lab-specific training is addressed in the second major policy mandate. The UC policy requires a Training Needs Assessment (TNA) pdf / Word to be performed for each lab worker. The form is electronically forwarded when the worker attends the Fundamentals class above. The worker is instructed to work with their supervisor to complete the assessment and document completed training on the form (or elsewhere). The form categorizes training into 3 areas:
- “Day One” lab orientation (e.g., location of emergency equipment, issue PPE, etc.)
- Other EH&S formal classes, if needed (e.g., radiation safety, biosafety, etc.)
- Other lab-specific training (e.g., local protocols, hazards, etc.)
EH&S Training Records
EH&S training completed after July 2012 is documented in the UC Learning Center. Individuals can access the Learning Center using their UCSB NetID and password to view their training history. Likewise, upon request, departments can have designated administrator(s) provided access to all the training records for individuals associated with their department.