UCSB’s Environmental Health and Safety manages the UCOP sponsored UC Sat Device loaner program. We have two (2) Garmin InReach SE+ satellite communicators (“UC Sat Devices”) available to be borrowed by field researchers for their planned field trips. The UC Sat Device is intended to serve as an emergency communication device and personal locator when engaged in university-related activities at remote areas with unreliable cell phone coverage. The UC Sat Device operates via the Iridium satellite network (100% global coverage) when given a clear view of the sky.
Researchers who are interested to borrow the device are required to:
1. Read and sign the UC Sat Device Use Authorization Agreement ;
2. Develop a Field Safety Plan;
3. All participants should take the Heat Illness Prevention Training (UCSB Learning Center)
4. The field trip leader (or a delegate) should register all participants in the the trip with UC Away
5. Make an appointment with Nelly Traitcheva to check out the device and to receive a short in person “how-to” training.