Elements of a Field Safety Plan
Developing a Field Safety Plan is an essential part of ensuring your field work occurs in a safe and effective manner. Please use this Field Safety Plan template to help prepare for your field work. Modify as needed. Please contact EH&S if you have any questions.
Key elements of a Field Safety Plan include:
- Research Team Information:
- Emergency Contacts
- Health Insurance Carrier
- Records of specialized training
- Health concerns
- Waivers of Liability
- Emergency Respond Procedures
- Communication Options and a Check-In Protocol
- Risk Assessment and Go/No-Go Criteria
- Heat Illness Plan - prevention and response
- Travel Itinerary. - collect the following information:
- Car rental details
- Flight numbers
- Departure times
- Hotels or camp sites
- Cell phone numbers of all participants
- Activities planned and etc.
Register all participants on the trip with UC Away to obtain travel insurance documentation and location-specific travel alerts via e-mail provided by Worldcue® TRAVELER (your account is created when you register the trip).
Risk Management and Insurance
The UCSB Risk Management and Insurance's webpage provides detailed information regarding risk management related insurances. Questions or concerns regarding work related travel can be directed to UCSB Risk Management at 805.893.4169.
UCGO is a webpage developed by UCOP which provides information and resources in support of UC's global activities.