Field Research Safety

Travel Abroad

If your field trip is out of the country most of the recommended steps listed in Planning a Field Research Trip still apply. However, there are additional factors/requirements that should be considered:

  • University of California Global Operations’ (UCGO) website is a portal to information and resources in support of UC’s global activities including Field Research Trips. The website provides travel and post-travel check lists, suggestions on what to pack, information on travel health and insurances, visas and etc.
  • First Time Abroad? Take the available online training – UC Abroad:
    This course is an overview of travel abroad safety. Topics include: planning, safety, travel health, and international security.
  • All field trip participants, with the exception of employees in the course and scope of their employment, must sign a UC Waiver of Liability.
  • Shipment of physical items
    • Export control regulations might apply. Do contact in the Office of Research for assistance.
    • Export control cover shipments of controlled physical items, such as scientific equipment that require export licenses from the United States to a foreign country, and transfers of controlled information, including technical data.
    • American Cargoservice, Inc. provides Freight Forwarding and Customs Brokerage services to the University of California system.
    • Instructions on how to fill out Toxic Substance Control Act (TSCA) Import Certification Form can be found here.
  • Communication: consider using our free service and take a satellite communicator on your trip. Keep in mind that in some countries inReach devices may be regulated, prohibited or embargoed.
  • Travel Health at UCSB offers individual consultations, recommended and required travel immunizations, prescriptions and information for prevention of malaria and other illnesses, Up-to-date, country specific health and travel advisories. Schedule an appointment 12 weeks prior to your departure date.