Hazardous Waste

Hazardous Materials Shipping

Transportation of hazardous materials via plane, train, highway or vessel is regulated by numerous agencies, including the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) and the International Air Transport Association (IATA). Shipping regulations requires that the employer train, test and certify that the hazardous materials employee is familiar with applicable regulations, safety and security awareness. A trained shipper should be able to properly identify, classify, package, mark, label and document each hazardous materials shipment.

You are required to be trained if you do any of the following at UCSB:

  • Loads, unloads, or handles hazmat;
  • Tests, reconditions, repairs, modifies, marks or otherwise represents packages as qualified for use in the transportation of hazmat;
  • Prepares hazmat for transportation;
  • Is responsible for safety of transporting hazmat; or
  • Operates a vehicle used to transport hazmat.

To be certified as a hazardous materials shipper, you must complete the follow course which meets three of the four regulatory training requirements: general awareness/familiarization, safety and security awareness. You may be required to take further courses that will train you in Function Specific tasks (the fourth requirement to earn certification).

Hazardous Materials Training (required every two years)

Hazardous Materials General Awareness Training Online through the UC Learning Center. Search the course catalog using the keyword "“HazMat Shipping"” or “TR39”
Function Specific: Dry Ice Shipping Online through the UC Learning Center. Search the course catalog using the keyword "Dry Ice"
Function Specific: Excepted Quantities Instructions and Online Course Pending
Function Specific: Materials of Trade (MOT) Online Course Pending
Function Specific: Formalin Online Course Pending

Instructions to Ship Hazardous Materials

  1. Obtain certification through online General Awareness and Function Specific Training
  2. Prior to shipping items internationally, contact the campus Export Control Officer (exportcontrol@research.ucsb.edu) for assistance in determining whether an export license is required for your shipment.
  3. The University of California has a contract with AMERICAN CARGOSERVICE for help with freight forwarding, customs clearance or commercial invoices.
  4. Properly identify, classify, package, mark and label the hazardous material
  5. Contact EH&S if you need specific hazard labels
  6. Prepare your shipping declaration or bill of lading. Note: Fed Ex requires the use of Fed Ex approved software to prepare the shipping declaration
  7. Contact EH&S to obtain a 24/7 Emergency Response Phone Number for the shipping papers
  8. Contact EH&S for questions or guidance

How to Select a Package

  1. Purchase a UN rated package that meets or exceeds the Packing Group requirement for your hazardous material. For example, a X rated package can be used for all packing groups (PG I, II, III) or a Z rated package can only be used for a PG III material.
  2. For Excepted Quantities perform a package performance test as outlined in the Instructions for Shipping Excepted Quantities and document that the test was performed.

Instructions for Shipping Excepted Quantities (Shipping Small Quantities)

Training Instructions

De Minimis exceptions (Shipping < 1ml/1g)

Training Instructions

Materials Of Trade (Self Transport of Hazardous Materials)

MOT Brochure
MOT Drivers Statement

UCSB Toxic Substance Control Act (TSCA) Import Certification Form

TSCA Import Certification Form and Instructions (PDF) / (Word)

Useful links

Hazardous Materials Table
Import of Soil

Shipping Companies