Employee Safety Rights
All University employees have safety-related rights under the law. Although some employees are primarily in a leadership role with minimal supervision, (e.g., faculty) these rights still generally apply:
- To receive training in general safe work practices and specific training with regard to hazards unique to a job assignment.
- To have workplaces monitored for exposure to harmful substances, as appropriate
- To see and copy medical or exposure records maintained by the employer
- To refuse to perform work under confirmed unsafe conditions, and to file complaints with their supervisors, EH&S, and Cal/OSHA, without fear of reprisal.
- To see the employer’s Log of Occupational Injuries and Illnesses
For more information see: Cal-OSHA Safety and Health Protection on the Job poster