Building Your Own Spill Kit
The recommended contents of a chemical spill kit are:
- absorbent materials such as vermiculite or "spill pillows"
- neutralizing agents for acids such as sodium bicarbonate or sodium carbonate
- neutralizing agents for alkali spills such as sodium bisulfate or citric acid
- mercury absorbent (or contact EH&S for use of special mercury vacuum)
- lab coat or apron
- safety glasses
- barricade tape and warning signs
- plastic dust pan or scoop
- plastic bags
Vendors such as Fisher Scientific, or Lab Safety Supply carry spill kits — check their catalogs.