eLEARNING: Available 24/7 on the UC Learning Center
THIS IS A REFRESHER E-COURSE (AVAILABLE IN BOTH ENGLISH AND SPANISH) FOR THE BLOODBORNE PATHOGENS CERTIFICATE. IT IS INTENDED FOR NON-HEALTHCARE WORKERS. HEALTHCARE WORKERS SHOULD TAKE THE HEALTHCARE WORKER REFRESHER. FIRST-TIME LEARNERS NEED TO TAKE THE INITIAL INSTRUCTOR-LED TRAINING BEFORE BEING ELIGIBLE TO TAKE THIS REFRESHER E-COURSE.
This course will provide you with a basic understanding of bloodborne pathogens, common modes of transmission, methods of prevention, and what to do if an exposure occurs. Information presented will help minimize serious health risks to persons who may have personal exposure to blood and other potentially infectious materials in the workplace. This course has been updated to reflect new legislation for needlesticks in OSHA regulations for Bloodborne Pathogens that went into effect on April 18, 2001. The content in this course is designed to comply with the intent of the applicable regulatory requirements.
- Identify the traits and symptoms of Hepatitis B
- Identify the traits and symptoms of HIV
- Identify modes of transmission of bloodborne pathogens
- Identify preventive controls that reduce or eliminate exposure
- Identify the proper use and handling of personal protective equipment
- Recall proper decontamination procedures for blood or other potentially infectious materials
- Identify measures to be taken when the skin or eyes are exposed to infectious material
- Identify procedures to follow if an exposure incident occurs