eLEARNING: Available 24/7 on the UC Learning Center
This course is required for employees who work outside or in non-filtered buildings and/or vehicles for more than one hour per shift and may be exposed to wildfire smoke at a PM2.5 Air Quality Index (AQI) of 151 or greater for more than one hour during their shift. Trainees will learn about important UCSB and Cal/OSHA Wildfire Smoke Protection Program requirements, including:
- The health effects of wildfire smoke;
- The right to obtain medical treatment without fear of reprisal;
- How employees can obtain the current Air Quality Index (AQI) for PM2.5;3
- The requirements of Title 8, section 5141.1;
- The employer's two-way communication system;
- The employer's methods to protect employees from wildfire smoke;
- The importance, limitations, and benefits of using a respirator when exposed to wildfire smoke;
- How to properly put on and use the respirators provided by the employer.
For more information, please contact the Industrial Hygiene Program at firstname.lastname@example.org.