In 2016, California voters passed Proposition 64 – The Control, Regulate and Tax Adult Use of Marijuana Act. Despite this state law, cannabis remains a Schedule I controlled substance at the federal level. Research projects involving marijuana are permitted on campus, but only with a Schedule I DEA Registration.

In addition to meeting DEA requirements, the California Research Advisory Panel (RAPC) must also approve any study involving a Schedule I controlled substance. RAPC approval may be requested at the same time a DEA Form 225 application is submitted. Issuance of DEA Registration will be dependent upon RAPC approval.

Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) must also approve any cannabis research project that involves vertebrate animals. As with RAPC approval, an IACUC protocol can be submitted for approval concurrently with DEA Registration application.

With all requirements met, cannabis can be obtained through the National institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)