Transportation of hazardous materials via plane, train, highway or vessel is regulated by numerous agencies, including the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) and the International Air Transport Association (IATA). Shipping regulations requires that the employer train, test and certify that the hazardous materials employee is familiar with applicable regulations, safety and security awareness. A trained shipper should be able to properly identify, classify, package, mark, label and document each hazardous materials shipment.

You are required to be trained if you do any of the following at UCSB:

  • Loads, unloads, or handles hazmat;
  • Tests, reconditions, repairs, modifies, marks or otherwise represents packages as qualified for use in the transportation of hazmat;
  • Prepares hazmat for transportation;
  • Is responsible for safety of transporting hazmat; or
  • Operates a vehicle used to transport hazmat.


To be certified as a hazardous materials shipper, you must complete the follow course which meets three of the four regulatory training requirements: general awareness/familiarization, safety and security awareness. You may be required to take further courses that will train you in Function Specific tasks (the fourth requirement to earn certification).


Hazardous Materials Training (Required Every Two Years)


Hazardous Materials General Awareness Training

  Online through the UC Learning Center. Search the course catalog using the keyword     "HazMatShipping" or "TR39"

Function Specific: Dry Ice Shipping 

  Online through the UC Learning Center. Search the course catalog using the keyword "Dry     Ice"

Function Specific: Excepted Quantities 

  Instructions and Online Course Pending

Function Specific: Materials of Trade (MOT)

  Online Course Pending

Function Specific: Formalin

  Online Course Pending


Instructions to Ship Hazardous Materials

  1. Obtain certification through online General Awareness and Function Specific Training
  2. Prior to shipping items internationally, contact the campus Export Control Officer ( for assistance in determining whether an export license is required for your shipment.
  3. The University of California has a contract with AMERICAN CARGOSERVICE for help with freight forwarding, customs clearance or commercial invoices.
  4. Properly identify, classify, package, mark and label the hazardous material
  5. Contact EH&S if you need specific hazard labels
  6. Prepare your shipping declaration or bill of lading. Note: Fed Ex requires the use of Fed Ex approved software to prepare the shipping declaration
  7. Contact EH&S to obtain a 24/7 Emergency Response Phone Number for the shipping papers
  8. Contact EH&S for questions or guidance


How to Select a Package

  1. Purchase a UN rated package that meets or exceeds the Packing Group requirement for your hazardous material. For example, a X rated package can be used for all packing groups (PG I, II, III) or a Z rated package can only be used for a PG III material.
  2. For Excepted Quantities perform a package performance test as outlined in the Instructions for Shipping Excepted Quantities and document that the test was performed.