In order to dive as a Scientific Diver for UCSB, a diver must successfully complete UCSB’s 100-hour Dive Safety Course. This course is offered twice a year and is required for an open water scuba diver who wants to work as a scientific diver for UCSB. Training in the classroom, pool and ocean allows UCSB to meet scientific diving standards and is designed to fine-tune your diving skills and introduce scientific diving techniques. Interested divers should review the course requirements and submit an on-line application.
HOW TO APPLY
- Should be certified as an Open-Water Diver with:
- min of 4 cold water (<70F) logged dives within the past 6 months.
- Review Course Requirement Packet
- Review Coastal Fund Undergraduate Support Fee Program
- Submit an On-line Application
Applications are due at least 2 months prior to start of course.
Space is limited and priority is given to UCSB faculty, staff and students.
Fall's Scientific Diver Course
- Offered during the 2 weeks prior to the start of the fall quarter plus 1-2 weekends
- Course dates will be available by May
- Applications for the fall course can be submitted on May 1st
Spring's Scientific Diver Course - Dive Course is Full.
Contact the DSO to be put on a waitlist.
- Offered during UCSB's Spring Break plus 2-3 weekends
- Course dates will be available by November
- Applications for the spring course can be submitted on Nov 1st