Risk Management & Insurance


Auto Accidents
Bodily Injury
Property Damage

Call 1.800.416.4029

UC Insurance

Vincent Willem van Gogh - Pont de Langlois - Kröller-Müller

Fine Arts Insurance

The UC Fine Arts Insurance policy provides coverage for risks of physical loss or damage, including earthquake and flood, to fine art (1) owned by the University, (2) in which the University has an insurable interest, (3) that is in the care, custody or control of the University, (5) for which the University has received instructions or agreed to insure under written contract prior to a loss, or (6) for which the University is legally liable. Coverage extends to fine art in transit and at any location worldwide.
* (Some countries may be excluded; see list below)

Securing Coverage

Coverage is not automatic. To have coverage under the Fine Arts Insurance policy, a department must request it. To be eligible for Fine Arts insurance coverage, the art must be owned by the University or on loan to the University with an agreement in place that makes the University responsible for insuring the loaned fine art. Undeclared fine arts are covered under the Fine Arts and Library Collections Policy. This policy has more exclusions and higher deductibles.

Any department receiving fine art on loan must, in order to secure coverage under the Fine Arts Insurance policy, submit an Application for Fine Arts Insurance and a copy of the Art Exhibition & Loan Agreement to UCSB Risk Management prior to receiving the fine art from the lender. If an exhibit of loaned artwork extends beyond six months then the responsible department must complete and submit a Permanent Collections Schedule Change Form to add the art to the Permanent Collections Schedule and insure it as part of the campus’ Permanent Collections.

The Risk Management office maintains a “Fine Arts Permanent Collections Schedule”. The Schedule keeps track of all owned fine art (and non-owned fine art that the campus is, or will be, in possession of for more than six months) that is covered under the Fine Arts Insurance policy. Risk Management distributes this list to art-owning departments every six months so that they may update it by listing new items for which coverage is required, or to delete items for which coverage is no longer necessary. Departments must use the Permanent Collections Schedule Change Form to add art to the campus Permanent Collections Schedule so that artwork in their possession is insured under the University’s Fine Arts policy.

Art Exhibition & Loan Agreement

When a UCSB department borrows or lends fine art, it should enter into a written agreement with the other party. Examples of such agreements are the Art Exhibition & Loan Agreement - UC as Borrower and the Art Exhibition & Loan Agreement - UC as Lender. An agreement documents the terms and conditions of the loan as well as the value of the art and who is responsible for insuring it. Submit a copy of the completed and signed Agreement to the Risk Management office prior to borrowing or loaning fine art so that it can be scheduled and insured. If an exhibit extends beyond six months then the fine art must be scheduled as part of the campus’ Permanent Collections (as described above).

Fine Arts Premium

The cost of the Fine Arts Insurance policy is included in the premium that the campus pays for UC’s property insurance premium. There is no additional charge to departments for coverage under this program.

Fine Arts Policy Deductible

$1,000 per occurrence
$10,000 earthquake deductible
$10,000 outdoor sculptures
(Deductibles do not apply to items on loan to the University)

Making a Claim for Loss or Damage

If your department has suffered a property loss covered by the Fine Arts Insurance policy and wants to file a claim, use the Huntington T. Block Fine Arts Claim Report.

     • Report to campus Risk Management immediately
     • Advise owner of loss
     • Report to Huntington T. Block Director of Claims

     • Report to Police Department immediately
     • Continue search for piece

     • Save all transit documentation and packing as evidence
     • Notify shipper of damage immediately, follow-up with a letter putting them on notice of loss
     • If package is damaged when it arrives, take photos of the damaged packing
     • Take additional photos as you unpack the contents to create complete photo record

     • Collect and retain all damaged pieces
     • Determine cause of loss and whether another party is responsible for damage
     • Determine value and if possible, ability to restore piece


This policy does not insure against loss or damage caused by:

  • Wear and tear, gradual deterioration, moths, vermin, inherent vice, or loss or damage sustained due to or resulting from any repairing, restoration, or retouching process. However, this exclusion shall not apply where the Insurers and/or their representatives have directed repairing, restoration, retouching, or other process following a loss.
  • War Risks (various), except with respect to Insured Property in overseas transit.
  • Nuclear reaction or nuclear radiation or radioactive contamination, all whether controlled or uncontrolled and whether such loss be direct or indirect, proximate or remote, or be in whole or in part caused by, contributed to, or aggravated by the perils insured against in this policy; however, subject to the foregoing and all provisions of this policy, direct loss by fire resulting from nuclear reaction or nuclear radiation or radiation or radioactive contamination is insured against by this policy.
  • Terrorism.

No Coverage in Some Countries

Countries in which coverage does not apply: countries and/or places known or formerly known as Afghanistan, Albania, Angola, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Burma (Myanmar), Chechnya, Croatia, Cuba, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Kampuchea, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Liberia, Libya, Macedonia, Montenegro, North Korea, Outer Mongolia, Pakistan, Rwanda, Serbia, Slovenia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tibet, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, West Bank Territory, Yugoslavia, Zaire, Zimbabwe, or any other country where trade relations are unlawful as determined by the Government of the United States of America or it's agencies.