Risk Management & Insurance


Auto Accidents
Bodily Injury
Property Damage

Call 1.800.416.4029

UC Insurance

Karl Brullov - The Last Day of Pompeii

Property Insurance

In general, the University's Property Self-Insurance Program automatically covers University-owned property at no cost to departments or employees. It also covers property in the University’s care, custody, and control as long as there is a written agreement signed by a University employee with signature authority. Coverage is worldwide and property need not be on University grounds to be insured. Lost or damaged goods that are covered under the Program are replaced or repaired with property of like kind and quality.

Some property exposures that are not covered by the Self-Insurance Program are covered by commercial policies, e.g. Aviation/Aircraft, Boiler & Machinery, Builder’s Risk, Cyber Risk, Fine Arts, Marine Cargo, Transit Risk, etc.


Perils that are covered include theft, vandalism, fire, water, explosions, lightning, windstorms, hail, transportation, building collapse, and other sudden and accidental damage. Some perils that are not covered include earthquake, changes in temperature or humidity, wear, tear, and deterioration, mysterious disappearance, delay, loss of tme, war and terrorism.


The deductible is $1,000 for all perils with the following exceptions:

  • $5,000 per occurrence for water damage (or 10% if damage exceeds $50,000)
  • $5,000 per occurrence for fire
  • $1,000 per occurrence for forced-entry theft
  • $5,000 per occurrence for non-forced entry theft
  • $250 for losses occurring during transit. If the carrier pays all or a portion of the claim, the self-insurance program will pay the remaining amount of claim with no deductible applied.


Program Administration

The Property Self-Insurance Program is paid for by UC campuses and medical centers. The Office of the President Risk Services manages the funding and administration of the Program through the use of a third party claims administrator. When a claim is made, the third party claims administrator investigates the loss to determine whether it is covered, how it is covered, and how much the department is to be paid. For more information about this Program, go to OPRS: Property Insurance.

Reporting a Loss and Filing a Claim

If you or your department have suffered property loss or damage and want to report the loss and file a claim, go to UC Property Loss Claim.

UC Property Claim Processing & Payment

When a department suffers loss or damage to University property or property in the University’s care, custody, and control, see UC Property Loss Claim for information about how property claims are processed and paid by the UC Property Insurance Program.