Risk Management & Insurance


Auto Accidents
Bodily Injury
Property Damage

Call 1.800.416.4029

UC Insurance

grill of black car

University Vehicles

The University insures all the vehicles it owns or leases. The University Automobile Insurance Program provides liability coverage for damage or injury caused to third party persons and property and for physical damage to University vehicles, including theft. Coverage is mandatory for all University vehicles whether operating, non-operating, currently in use, or in storage. The deductible for damage to a University vehicle is $500.


Use of University Vehicles


When employees drive University vehicles in the course and scope of their employment or other authorized personnel use University vehicles on official University business, they are covered by the University's Automobile Insurance Program, subject to the restrictions listed below. Business and Finance Bulletin BUS-46, Use of University Vehicles governs the use University vehicles.

Use Restrictions

  • University vehicles can be used for official University business only.
  • Authorized drivers are limited to faculty, staff, and student employees.
  • Consultants and non-employee student drivers must be approved to use a University vehicle by an appropriate campus official.
  • A driver who improperly uses a University vehicle may be held financially responsible for the consequences. Improper use of a University vehicle includes:
              •   Use for private purposes
              •   Use by a driver with a suspended license or no license at all
              •   Use by a driver under the influence of alcohol or narcotics
              •   Reckless driving
              •   Illegal activities or behavior


Insurance Coverage in an Accident


  • Injury or damage to others: University Auto Insurance
  • Damage to University vehicle: University Auto Insurance
  • Injury to employee driver (if in course and scope of employment): UC Worker’s Compensation Program
  • Injury to employee passenger (if in course and scope of employment): UC Worker’s Compensation Program
  • Injury to non-UC passenger: UC General Liability Insurance Program if injury is UC driver’s fault; if the fault of a third party, third party’s insurance
  • See the Fact Sheet: Insurance While Driving on UC Business for more information about where insurance coverage comes from when you are driving a vehicle to conduct University business.


Registering UC Vehicles


All University vehicles and department-owned or leased vehicles, whether they are based in the United States or in a foreign country, must be registered with the campus Risk Management Office. To add a vehicle to your department's automobile schedule in order to secure coverage under the University’s Automobile Insurance Program, complete the Auto Schedule Adjustment Form and submit it to the campus Risk Management, Environmental Health & Safety, 565 Mesa Rd., University of California, Santa Barbara, CA 93106-2090. For more information, call 893.5837; email: ron.betancourt@ucsb.edu.

After a vehicle is registered, the UC Auto Insurance Program will provide coverage for damage or injury to third party property, vehicles or persons by University vehicles and for any physical damage it may suffer, including theft. Registration is mandatory and coverage is mandatory on all University vehicles.

Cost of Auto Insurance

Departments that own vehicles pay for insurance coverage. An annual premium is charged for any vehicle owned as of July 1. The charge appears by way of a journal entry on the department’s general ledger. This charge usually appears on the ledger later in the year, after UCSB Risk Management has given departments the opportunity to update their vehicle schedules. The Office of the President Risk Services determines the campus auto insurance premium based on an actuarial review of the campus experience over a period of five years (losses) and its exposure (number of owned autos). There are no charges for vehicles added during the fiscal year until the next fiscal year. Conversely, there are no refunds for vehicles that are disposed of during the fiscal year.

UC Vehicles in Foreign Countries

All University vehicles and department-owned or leased vehicles based in foreign countries must be registered with the campus Risk Management Office and insured. See Foreign Auto Liability for more information.

Evidence of Financial Responsibility for UC Vehicles

Every UC vehicle has a copy of the registration card issued by the DMV in the glove box. Under Vehicle Code Section 16020(b)(4), this serves as sufficient evidence of both registration and financial responsibility (proof of insurance) because it demonstrates the vehicle is owned by a government entity as defined in Section 811.2 of the Government Code. The requirement to show proof of financial responsibility is fulfilled when a vehicle is shown to be owned by a government entity.

811.2. "Public entity" includes the state, the Regents of the University of California, the Trustees of the California State University and the California State University, a county, city, district, public authority, public agency, and any other political subdivision or public corporation in the State.

(a) All drivers and all owners of a motor vehicle shall at all times be able to establish financial responsibility pursuant to Section 16021, and shall at all times carry in the vehicle evidence of the form of financial responsibility in effect for the vehicle.

(b) "Evidence of financial responsibility" means any of the following:

(4) A showing that the vehicle is owned or leased by, or under the direction of, the United States or a public entity, as defined in Section 811.2 of the Government Code.

Automobile Accident

Go to Automobile Accident if you are a 3rd party who has been involved in an accident with a University vehicle, or a driver of a University vehicle who has been involved in an automobile accident, and you must report and/or make a claim for injury or damages.

Automobile Claim Processing & Payment

When an employee is involved in an accident while driving a UC vehicle, they must immediately report the accident to SedgwickCMS, the University’s Third Party Administrator. See Claims & Complaints - Automobile Accident for information about claim processing and payment when University vehicles are involved in accidents.

Traffic and Parking Tickets

Tickets received while operating a UC vehicle are the responsibility of the driver, not the University.