There are a number of trainings required for all researchers at UCSB to complete before working in the laboratory. The Fundamentals of Laboratory Safety Training is extremely important to complete, along with other documented trainings.
There are a number of trainings required for all researchers at UCSB to complete before working in the laboratory.
The Three Primary Training Requirements Are:
- The Fundamentals of Laboratory Safety Initial (live or on-line)and annually take Fundamentals of Laboratory Safety refresher (online). Lab Safety Training Access Instructions
- A hazard assessment review and PPE training via the Assessment online tool.
- Provide documented laboratory-specific safety orientation, including CHP/SOP review, Training Needs assessment form, etc.
Trainings Required On An As-Needed Basis.
These include Biological Safety, Radiation Safety, Laser Safety, etc.
All of these trainings should be documented on the Training Needs Assessment Form PDF / Word. This form also serves as a checklist to confirm that all needed trainings have been received.
For a Full List of Trainings Offered by EH&S
Additional Information at DOW Lab Safety Academy
Additionally, the DOW LAB SAFETY ACADEMY has a number of useful online safety videos available.
- Basic Safety Principles such as Lab Housekeeping, Fire Extinguisher Basics, etc.
- Specialized Topics such as gas cylinders, cryogens, and vacuum equipment
- Hazard Assessment techniques
- Safety Culture topics such as Mentoring and Interventions