Note: No individual is permitted to operate a university-owned lift prior to successfully completing this certification training program, regardless of previous experience or certification. Trainees/operators must be at least 18 years of age, possess a valid driver’s license, and meet the physical qualifications for Aerial lift/Elevated Work Platforms and Bucket Truck operators.
Departments that own, rent and/or otherwise operate Aerial Lifts / Elevating Work Platforms (AL/EWP) or Bucket Trucks must:
- Select and then purchase or rent appropriate equipment for job tasks based upon the work-environment and the completion of an job/task hazard analysis.
- Ensure personnel are properly trained, licensed and authorized to operate the specific type(s) of owned / rented equipment, in accordance with established campus guidelines. The department must post a list of these individuals in a conspicuous location.
- Conduct documented safety inspections and preventive maintenance of the equipment.
- Purchase and supply all required personal protective equipment (PPE) and fall arrest equipment for persons trained and authorized to operate Aerial lifts/Elevated Work Platforms and Bucket Trucks.
- Assure operators adhere to specific safe-work practices whenever using these types of powered industrial equipment including use of personal protective equipment (PPE) and fall arrest equipment as required.
- Approve Contractors / Vendors to use AL/EWP equipment on their premises, and only allow properly licensed contractor / vendor personnel to use Department-owned equipment. Note: Contractors/vendors must have proof of training and licensing to operate this equipment equal to or exceeding the established requirements for UCSB personnel.