Training includes a combination of formal classroom instruction, demonstrations, “hands-on” practical exercises, written examination, and an operator performance evaluation. Practical exercises are performed under the supervision of experienced trainers in a controlled environment to preclude endangering the trainee or other employees. A certificate of training and operator license will be issued upon completion of the course. To arrange for training, or obtain further information, contact the EH&S/Industrial Safety staff at (805) 893-5407.
Note: No individual is permitted to operate a university-owned lift prior to successfully completing this certification training program, regardless of previous experience or certification. Trainees/operators must be at least 18 years of age and hold a valid driver’s license.
Departments that own, lease, rent and/or otherwise operate forklifts and other types of industrial lift trucks must:
- Select and then purchase or rent appropriate equipment for job tasks based upon the work-environment and the completion of a job/task hazard analysis.
- Ensure personnel are properly trained, licensed and authorized to operate the specific type(s) of owned/rented equipment, in accordance with established campus guidelines. The department must post a list of trained and authorized operators in a conspicuous location.
- Conduct documented safety inspections and preventive maintenance of the equipment.
- Purchase and supply all required personal protective equipment (PPE) for persons trained and authorized to operate forklifts and industrial lift trucks.
- Assure operators adhere to specific safe-work practices whenever using these types of powered industrial equipment including use of personal protective equipment (PPE) as required.
- Approve Contractors/Vendors to use forklift/industrial lift truck equipment on their premises, and only allow properly licensed contractor/vendor personnel to use Department-owned equipment. Note: Contractors/vendors must have proof of training and licensing to operate this equipment equal to or exceeding the established requirements for UCSB personnel.